Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Mrs. Condie's Class Visit 6: And It Was Still Hot

It was Mrs. Condie's class turn to experience one of my favorite lessons! This lesson is based of the book "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak. Since I've already explained this lesson I'll spare those details, but you can check this post here for a little more information.

It's fun as a teacher to see the differences between classes when you do the same lesson. There are also always similarities. Some are amusing, for example, without fail whenever it comes to the part where Max tumbles by on the ocean, at least two students will start doing the worm and they will undoubtedly be boys.

Another thing I love about book lessons is that more often than not by the end of the lesson the students have essentially learned and remembered a short little dance. All I have to do is read the book, and they are able to dance and remember what comes next. I also love allowing the students to watch each other dance at the end. Not only do they watch each other, but I then give them an opportunity to raise their hand and tell me an observation, or if they saw something that they liked or something someone did well. It's a nice way for the students to not only encourage each other, but also practice connecting what we've done in class to their world, as well as practicing expressing it verbally.


 Image: http://www.gems6-2.com/images/p_33.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment