Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Visit 13-15: National Anthem Performance

The next three visits consisted of preparing for both Mrs. Condie's and Mrs. Jenkins' class to perform in a school assembly. They were going to dance the fourth verse of the National Anthem while the faculty sung. Once again this was an opportunity for the students to create and perform their own movement. The only part I created was their beginning and ending shape. (Which in all reality I just gave them specific criteria and they created their own ending shape) There were six groups and each group was given one line of the fourth verse to create their dance. It's so fun to see the difference in what they were creating during my first couple of visits, to what they were creating now for this performance.

I was so proud of what they came up with. Especially since there were some hard words in some of their lines. It was awesome to see that as they were doing their dance they created they were also singing the words. By creating a dance, they had inadvertently learned the fourth verse of the Star-Spangled Banner! I honestly didn't know the fourth verse until I was preparing for their lesson. Hopefully they will remember this verse for the rest of their lives, I know that I still remember songs I learned in elementary school.

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave

No comments:

Post a Comment